Health Care Professionals
The Eastern Metropolitan Region Palliative Care Consortium has produced the following regional documents:
Decision Assist: Palliative Care phone advisory service, phone 1300 668 908 Is available to medical practitioners and staff working in aged care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Registered nurses specialising in palliative care triage the calls, with medical specialists available as required. Decision Assist: Advance Care Planning advisory line operates 8am – 8pm on 1300 668 908.
– GP Service Access chart March 2016 outlines the specific access points to regional palliative care services for doctors.
Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach (PEPA) is designed to improve the skills, confidence and expertise of health practitioners who care for people who are dying and their families. This is through supervised clinical placements; palliative approach workshops and professional development, networking and education opportunities. PEPA is available for general practitioners, nurses, allied health and Aboriginal health workers. To register interest or find out more click here
The Victorian Palliative Care Clinical Network provides clinical leadership. Projects include:
- Clinical tools to assist with specialist palliative care provision guides the clinician to validated tools including – a multi-domain assessment; pain assessment; family/caregiver; spirituality; symptoms; performance/function;quality of life; prognosis; care of dying patient
- Bereavement support standards for palliative care services
- Pain Clinical indicators is the evidence based review of clinical indicators of pain in palliative care practice. The review has clinical recommendations on pain assessment and prescribing indicators
- End of life care pathways information is available through the Centre for Palliative Care
VictorianAdvance care planning – strategy 2014-18 was released in March 2014. It contains guidance for clinicians on advance care discussions.
Other useful tools or links
Caresearch is the website to search for Australian palliative care information. It has a strong search function and hubs of information for different community and professional groups.
Online videos and education modules: Alfred Health Palliative care education and training modules ( doctors only); Communication videos – Unsuccessful communication and successful communication; Centre for Palliative Care online learning – palliative care getting started ; Advance Care Planning Australia- free online learning modules